The Installation

The Monolith was ready.
The site was ready.
We were ready.

Standing on its own two feet the Monolith was large. 12 foot tall, 
weighing about 230 pounds. Moving it would be difficult.  Gary and
 I could do it, but we'd be making rest stops along the way, and 
 no telling what might go wrong, or who might see us.  Three people 
 would move it that much faster over the grassy, but uneven terrain.
 It would be safer to have a third person. Our friend Bret agreed 
 immediately. Everyone wants to help pulling a practical joke, 
 especially a big, elaborate one.

We also got Gary's dad to drive his big Jeep Grand Cherokee. Parking 
a vehicle along the roadside would just invite attention.  The 
Monolith just fit with the back window open, with a few feet of it 
projecting out.  A red rag tied to one of the 2x8 "legs" made us 
legal.  He would drop us off and then "orbit", waiting for us to 
come back.

We stopped along Crawford Avenue, the road that defined the easternmost
 side of Governor's State's property, at a point we figured was a 
 straight line shot to our site. The three of us bailed out quickly 
 and wrestled the Monolith out as gently as we could, mindful of the 
 paint on both the Monolith and the Jeep, even though we'd covered 
 the edge of tailgate with towels. Andy picked up the Monolith by its
 top and Gary and Bret took the "legs", and set off, feeling the 
 adrenaline rush from our biggest practical joke ever, and slightly 
 illegal one at that.  We made good time across the grounds, pausing 
 only a couple of times to rest and limber cramping hands.  It was 
 dark, even with the full moon walking through the thick grass was 
 difficult.  Completely blind footing.

Then the hard part.  We had taken a couple of twigs to mark in the 
holes we'd dug with the auger. In daylight it might have been fairly 
obvious what they were, when you got close, but at night the were 
just a couple more dark bits of foliage blending in with the background.
  We had to set down the Monolith and look around with flashlights for 
  several minutes before we found our "camouflage".  We hauled the 
  Monolith over to the site, pulled the small branches out of the holes,
  then carefully guided the "legs" into the holes, and rotated the 
  Monolith upright.  We packed the holes with the dirt we'd dug out.  
  Looked at our creation, black against the dark as we hadn't aligned
  it with the full moon.  I think I pointed out Clavius crater on the 
  moon, the site where the TMA-1 was found in "2001".  Then we turned
  away and ran back for the road.

The first thing Gary's dad wanted to know was what took us so long.  
So long?  It seemed like we were gone maybe twenty minutes or so, so 
we were astonished to find out that it had taken us forty-five minutes 
to actually do the job.  That's adrenaline for you.

We'd done it!  We'd installed our "donated sculpture" and not been 
discovered in the process.

Now to wait for the reaction...